Yang says he would not run as a third-party candidate
Democratic presidential candidate Andrew YangAndrew YangGeorge Floyd protests show corporations must support racial and economic equality Andrew Yang discusses his universal basic income pilot program Andrew Yang on the George Floyd protests in Minneapolis MORE, a former tech executive, said on Thursday that he would not mount a third-party bid for the White House if he doesn’t win his party’s nomination, arguing it would “increase the odds” of President TrumpDonald John TrumpSenate advances public lands bill in late-night vote Warren, Democrats urge Trump to back down from veto threat over changing Confederate-named bases Esper orders ‘After Action Review’ of National Guard’s role in protests MORE winning a second term in office.
“My job is to help get Donald Trump out of office, and I would do nothing to increase the odds of him sticking around,” Yang told “CBS This Morning” in an interview. “And I think a third-party candidacy would do just that.”
Would you consider a third party candidacy?
“My job is to help get Donald Trump out of office. And I would do nothing that would increase the odds of him sticking around. And I think a third party candidacy would do just that.” — 2020 hopeful @AndrewYang pic.twitter.com/gPRoWuKfbs
Click Here: cheap sydney roosters jersey— CBS This Morning (@CBSThisMorning) September 5, 2019
Yang entered the Democratic presidential contest last year as a virtual unknown in politics. He faces steep odds of winning the party’s nomination — his poll numbers are consistently in the low single digits and he ended the second quarter of 2019 among the candidates with the least cash on hand.
More recently, however, he has outperformed several of his better-known — and more politically experienced — rivals, including Sen. Kirsten GillibrandKirsten GillibrandWarren, Democrats urge Trump to back down from veto threat over changing Confederate-named bases Warren, Pressley introduce bill to make it a crime for police officers to deny medical care to people in custody Senate Dems press DOJ over coronavirus safety precautions in juvenile detention centers MORE (D-N.Y.), former Colorado Gov. John HickenlooperJohn HickenlooperGun control group rolls out first round of Senate endorsements The Hill’s Campaign Report: Republicans go on attack over calls to ‘defund the police’ Hickenlooper ethics questions open him up to attack MORE and Washington Gov. Jay InsleeJay Robert InsleeInslee calls on Trump to ‘stay out of Washington state’s business’ Seattle mayor responds to Trump: ‘Go back to your bunker’ Trump warns he will take back Seattle from ‘ugly Anarchists’ if local leaders don’t act MORE, who have dropped out of the presidential race in recent weeks.
Yang has also won the right to appear in the third Democratic presidential debate on Sept. 10. Unlike the first two debates, which featured 20 candidates each, the September debate will include only 10 candidates, a result of tougher qualifying measures.
Yang isn’t the only candidate to rule out a possible third-party campaign for the White House. Another long-shot presidential hopeful, Rep. Tulsi GabbardTulsi GabbardGabbard drops defamation lawsuit against Clinton It’s as if a Trump operative infiltrated the Democratic primary process 125 lawmakers urge Trump administration to support National Guard troops amid pandemic MORE (D-Hawaii), said last week that a third-party bid was out of the question, even if she doesn’t win the Democratic nomination.
“I’ve ruled that out,” Gabbard said in an interview with CNN. “I’m going to continue to focus on moving our campaign forward, continuing this grassroots campaign, continuing to deliver our message to the American people.”