#1 St. Cloud State Wrestling to Host Northern State on Feb. 7
The #1 ranked St. Cloud State University wrestling team (18-0, 5-0 NSIC) will host Northern State University (4-9, 1-4 NSIC) on Thursday, Feb. 7 at 7 p.m. in Halenbeck Hall.
This NSIC match will be available for viewing on the Stretch Internet live video stream and the match audio will also be available on the KVSC Sports Stream with John O. Peterson making the call from Halenbeck Hall.
Click Here: Fjallraven Kanken Art Spring Landscape Backpacks
Tickets for the match will be available at the gate or you can purchase in advance at www.scsutickets.com. This match has been designated as a SCSU Faculty/Staff appreciation night and all SCSU faculty and staff will be admitted to the match for free along with one guest. As always, all SCSU students get into the match for FREE with their valid SCSU student ID card. Just show your ID card at the gate and you get into the match for FREE.
HUSKY WRESTLING NOTEBOOK:
- The #1 ranked Huskies scored a 39-6 victory over University of Mary on Feb. 1 at Halenbeck Hall. The Huskies’ only two setbacks on the evening were at 141-pounds and 157-pounds against Mary. The victory improved SCSU’s overall record to 18-0 overall and 5-0 in NSIC competiton. The victory also marked the Huskies’ 44th consecutive dual match victory, which dates back to an 18-13 loss at Augustana on Jan. 27, 2011. The last time the Huskies lost a match at Halenbeck Hall was on Feb. 14, 2010 against Upper Iowa.
- The Huskies will continue their 2012-13 season on Feb. 7 with a 7 p.m. home match against NSIC rival Northern State University. On Feb. 10, the Huskies will travel to NSIC rival Upper Iowa for a 2 p.m. match in Fayette, Iowa.
- Individually, SCSU is paced by senior Shamus O’Grady with a 29-1 record. He is ranked #1 in the nation at 184-pounds and is within sight of the team’s single-season win record of 40 victories posted by Tad Merritt in 2010-11 (40-2). O’Grady has not lost a match since a setback against DI Minnesota’s Matt Pfarr in the title bout at the Finn Grinaker Open in Moorhead on Nov. 17.
- SCSU has won 116 of their matches by falls this season…the Huskies captured their second consecutive NWCA/Cliff Keen DII National Duals title on Jan. 12-1.
- Eric Forde now owns a 22-5 record for the Huskies at 125-pounds this season. SCSU’s other 20-win wrestler this winter is Clint Poster with a 26-3 record at 157.
- Coach Steve Costanzo is in his seventh season at SCSU with a 97-23 record with the Huskies.
- SCSU’s nationally ranked wrestlers are Eric Forde (4th at 125), Andy Pokorny (1st at 133), Clint Poster (8th at 157), Shamus O’Grady (1st at 184) and Jake Kahnke (2nd at 285).
- SCSU owns a five match win streak against Northern State, which dates back to a 25-12 loss on Jan. 12, 2006.
- SCSU’s Jake Kahnke is undefeated this season at 285 with a 12-0 record. He owns a 107-12 record during his college career with the Huskies.
SCSU PROBABLES vs. NORTHERN STATE:
125 Daniel Polanco Fr San Jose, CA 10-8
133 Andy Pokorny RSr Bennington, NE 15-1
141 Jay Hildreth So Council Bluffs, IA 15-9
149 Josh Howk RSo Blue Springs, MN 15-2
157 Clint Poster RFr Pierz, MN 26-3
165 Gabe Fogarty Fr Jordan, MN 18-7
174 Ben McPhail RSo Pine Island, MN 8-5
184 Shamus O’Grady RSr Coon Rapids, MN 29-1
197 Chris Brassell RJr Park Ridge, IL 11-7
285 Caleb White So Neola, IA 11-6
Division II Wrestling Rankings (Jan. 29, 2013)
1. St. Cloud State (Minn.) 160 1st
2. Notre Dame (Ohio) 152 2nd
3. Central Oklahoma 143 3rd
4. Newberry (S.C.) 130 4th
5. Pittsburgh-Johnstown (Pa.) 115 10th
6. Upper Iowa 113 6th
7. Findlay (Ohio) 104 8th
8. Nebraska-Kearney 99 12th
9. Colorado Mesa 82 9th
10. Minnesota State-Mankato 80 13th
11. Grand Canyon (Ariz.) 77 11th
12. Kutztown (Pa.) 73 7th
13. Mercyhurst (Pa.) 71 NR
14. Wisconsin-Parkside 66 5th
15. Augustana (S.D.) 41 18th
16. Indianapolis (Ind.) 29 17th
17. Fort Hays State (Kan.) 28 14th
18. North Carolina-Pembroke 26 T20th
19. Ashland (Ohio) 21 15th
20. Ouachita Baptist (Ark.) 19 T20th
Others receiving votes: Adams State (Colo.), Lake Erie (Ohio), San Francisco State (Calif.), Southwest Minnesota, West Liberty (W.Va.)