F1 should consider a return to Indy – Brown

November 24, 2019 0 By JohnValbyNation

McLaren executive director Zak Brown says the time has come for Formula 1 to consider a return to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The US Grand Prix took up residency at the Brickyard for eight years, between 2000 and 2007. While the early races at the Speedway fueled interest from American fans, attendance figures progressively fell thereafter.

Formula 1’s image certainly wasn’t helped by the controversial 2005 event when only six cars took part in the race when all cars running Michelin tyres decided to retire to the pits after the parade lap in a pre-agreed safety move.

Ultimately, Indy ended its rocky relationship with F1 after a dispute with former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone over… money.

  • Alonso and the Indy 500? Ron Dennis thinks it’s cool!

“I think it makes sense for Formula One to be at the world’s greatest racetrack,” said Brown, who is also considering a return of McLaren to IndyCar racing in some shape or form.

“I realise it may not have the glamour of some of the other markets that are being spoken about, but it’s here, it’s ready to go.

“I think economically, given that Liberty is taking a different view on some of their future partnerships, I think there is an opportunity there.”

IMS president Doug Boles told Reuters there had been no talks with Liberty about F1 but he would be interested in exploring the idea.

“We would have to figure out the economics of it,” said Boles.

 

“Want to win a trackday experience? All you have to do is subscribe to our FREE newsletter HERE”

GALLERY: All the action from Monaco

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter